It’s Important to Ask a Divorce Attorney These Six QuestionsLeave a Comment
It’s imperative that those going through a divorce understand the complexity that many divorce cases are inherent of. Even when both sides mutually agree that they should separate, this does not mean that the stress involved will be minimal. In fact, many divorces can get downright nasty. It is always recommended to work with an experienced divorce attorney from St. Charles, in order to achieve the best results for your situation that is possible.
You don’t have to hire the first attorney that you meet, and choosing the right lawyer is one of the most important decisions you can make at this time in your life. Even if a family member or friend has referred you to someone specific, it is still recommended you check this attorneys experience and qualifications to confirm they are the right match for your case. Family law is a very specific area of practice, which involves financial complexities, custody decisions, and asset distribution, which requires a lawyer who has extensive experience in divorce cases.
Additionally, laws vary from state to state, and are updated by the courts frequently, so it’s imperative to find an attorney that is intimately familiar with new cases and rules that may apply to each situation individually. Below, please find a few suggested questions to ask an attorney in order to determine if they are right for your divorce case.
- How long have you been practicing family law? How many divorce cases have you successfully handled?
- What is your suggested strategy for my case and why?
- Based on the information you know about my case, how long would you project the divorce process to take?
- How is your payment structure currently set up? Do you bill hourly or with a retainer? Do you expect there to be any additional costs beyond this that I should be aware of?
- What is your total estimate that my divorce will cost?
- How long do you typically take to return calls? In the event of an emergency, is there someone I can reach quickly?
The more information you know in advance regarding a lawyer will help you make an informed decision on which divorce attorney you hire. It is important to ask these questions in your initial consultation to get a sense if this lawyer is a good fit for your case.
The right divorce attorney from St. Charles can make all the difference in your case, and can expertly guide you through the complexities and the process successfully. Teague & Associates, LLC proudly serves St. Charles and the surrounding areas, and offers professional legal services for Family Law and divorce cases.
Contact us today at (314) 899-4499 to schedule a consultation to discuss your case with us.