How to Hire a Bankruptcy Attorney in FlorissantComments Off on How to Hire a Bankruptcy Attorney in Florissant
It is, unfortunately, more common than ever before to need to file for bankruptcy. In 2016 alone, nearly 800,000 people filed for bankruptcy in the United States. If you find yourself in over your head with debt and are desperately wondering what you should do, engaging a bankruptcy attorney in Florissant can help you understand your options and where you stand financially.
How does someone go about finding a bankruptcy lawyer? Adhering to the following steps is a smart move:
- Do a little research into bankruptcy attorneys in your area. Make a list. Get recommendations from friends, browse the phone book or look online.
- Refine your list by checking out a few of your choices. Be sure that the lawyer you choose is licensed to practice law and has experience in handling issues associated with bankruptcy.
- Schedule a personal consultation with a few lawyers and discuss your situation. These usually take 30 minutes or so and are typically offered free of charge by reputable attorneys. It is important to feel comfortable and confident in your selection. Be ready to present your documentation and financial information, have a list of questions to ask and be prepared to honestly answer some questions from the lawyer. Take notes and be sure to talk about fees so you will know what to expect in advance.
- Using the information you have gathered, and after taking into account your impressions about each attorney, make the most informed choice about your legal representation. Consider the lawyer’s communication skills, whether you feel you can trust this person, and the fees you will be charged.
- After hiring your attorney, work with him or her on your case, as required. Present up-to-date information, be easily accessible, have reasonable expectations, obtain copies of documentation and maintain your own records, ask about anything you do not understand and follow instructions when given.